Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cort's AR Progress

In some ways I don't really even like posting about Cort's reflux because I'd rather post about happier things. On the other hand, it is a good record of what is going on and helpful to look back and see the progress-however slow it may be. I guess all cases of reflux are different and some are more severe then others. I would have to say that Cort's is pretty severe. Most days I am amazed at what I can do with little sleep, but other days like today are much harder.
 Cort has many, many nights(more than I would like to admit) where he cries out every hour after 12. He was at the point where he would not be hungry or even just take 1 ounce. Our doctor said, he probably isn't hungry and just wants to soothe his pain. So now, instead of the bottle, I offer his paci. The poor guy isn't crying out hysterically. Instead it is a sad cry, usually with his eyes still closed. All that he wants is the paci back and a couple of pats on his tummy. He falls right back asleep but may wake again in an hour. Dr. Travis is still convinced that this is acid reflux and obviously CIO or other methods like that would not be appropriate because he is in pain.  The reflux has moved from silent to regular spit ups about 1-3 after each feeding or dose of medicine.
Cort is now on two medications. He takes each twice a day at all different times. He also has a special formula that he takes at his last feeding of the night at 8pm. This formula is rice-based and thicker. The idea is that thinner milk comes up too easily for him. He doesn't have the ability to keep it down. He does have some good nights and underneath it all he is such a happy baby. He falls asleep easily now just by placing him in the crib. He takes 3 full naps but still I may have to go up after an hour to give him his paci and pat him just like at night. As for the future, our doctor is hopeful that his esophageal sphincter will develop and mature and this will disappear by 6 months. I have read that it can last much longer-longer than I want to say. But...there are many worse things! Wouldn't you just do anything for this little guy?

1 comment:

Sarah and Eric said...

I'm sorry to hear his reflux isn't getting better. I can't imagine the pain you must feel as a mom knowing he's in pain. Poor little guy! I'm crossing my fingers that it gets better for him and for you as well!