Normally, I just blog about the kids, but today I felt like blogging about what I've been up to. Being a stay-at-home mom has its ups and downs, just like being a working mom. One of the biggest challenges as a non-working mom is that if you are not careful, Momma can take the place of who you are instead of being an addition to who you are. After Costa Rica, I realized that I had kind of forgotten about Gina and maybe need more of a balance.
Originally, staying at home came at the perfect time for me, because I had thought about making a change anyhow. Since being home I have thought about getting my doctorate and other various things. Mainly I was looking for something to build on my current experience and education but at the same time be something new, exciting and challenging. I talked to most everyone in my family, and decided that maybe I just needed let things happen on their own instead of jumping into any costly programs.
In Costa Rica, without realizing it, it did just happen on its own. While I was there, I really enjoyed speaking Spanish. Actually, I loved it. I had a bilingual emergency cert in Illinois, but never used it. Thankfully I never used it, because I think it was a miracle that I even passed the exam to begin with. So lately, I have really been excited at the thought of getting bilingual certification in Texas. I plan to continue to study this year and take the exams at the end of this year if I feel ready. I have joined a Spanish conversation group that I go to 1 1/2 hours each week. I also have 4 Spanish-speaking pen pals! It has been so much fun. I am not sure exactly what the future holds for me, but for now I have found something that challenges me and that I am really excited about. Plus, Deric and I really want to continue to travel and Guatemala may be next on our list. It will be so much fun to be able to speak more fluently than I did in Costa Rica.
Nolan is aware that I have been studying. On occasion he will listen to a podcast with me or let me read him a children's book in Spanish(translating in English too). I think it is really important for him to see that I have interests too and that I study just like he does. We talked the other day about how he used to go to Primrose. We passed it while driving and he asked why he used to go there. I told him I was a teacher and he said, "I hate for you to be a teacher". I reassured him that my first and most important job will always be Momma.
11 years ago



3 comments:
So glad you are finding something you are so passionate about....I need to find that something too!
I think that's awesome! I've thought about learning more of it as well, especially when I was in Austin. Are you doing a program through Texas ed, or something on your own?
All on my own...
Post a Comment